- Confirmatory testing of drugs-of-abuse/drug testing in:
- Screening and confirmatory tests for illegal substances in human body fluids.
- Toxicology interpretation of drug testing results (for assisting the medical review officer, clinicians and other responsible persons).
- Expert consultation and witnessing for criminal and civil law practitioners as well as advise to parents, schools, organisations, etc.
- Research and development in the field of forensic drug analysis.
- Training of forensic chemists/toxicologists.
- The identification of pharmaceutical substances – the quantification of active ingredients.
- As an additional service we supply legally defensible forensic urine and hair drug sampling kits.
The Forensic Toxicology Laboratory is situated in the Department of Chemistry on the Hatfield Campus of University of Pretoria, Natural Sciences Building (NW-I) Room 3-33/3-30 and 2-49.1.
The facility is equipped with state-of-the-art Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) equipment, which is the technique of choice for drug analysis.
Other techniques also available in this facility are High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Infrared (IR) and Ultraviolet/Visible (UV/VIS) Spectrometry and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR).
The University is committed to the community at large and is currently involved in the following projects:
The Hatfield CBD “Clean-up” project.
Educational drug lectures to churches, schools and other organisations.
Regular articles on issues of drug abuse in various magazines and publications.
The presentation of information seminars to the public.