Above: Tuks FM volunteers at Menlyn Park Shopping Centre for 67 minutes.

On Mandela Day, Saturday 18 July 2015, Tuks FM volunteers gathered at the Menlyn Park Shopping Centre to sing the national anthem for 67 minutes.

The goal was to bring people of all ages together through song. At 11:00, the Tuks FM volunteers moved through the mall encouraging people to join in. Many mall-goers stopped their shopping to sing along with the moving crowd. Balloons were handed out to children in the hope that their parents or guardians would explain the significance of the day.

Sila Odhuno, Tuks FM volunteer said, “As an international student, I’ve adopted South Africa as my home away from home. I felt a great deal of pride being part of this initiative and I’m glad that we could bring some happiness and a feeling of unity to so many people.”

As the 67 minutes came to an end, the Tuks FM crew gathered on the ground floor to sing the anthem for a final time. People looked down from the levels above as the group wished Nelson Mandela a happy birthday.

For photos and more information visit Tuks FM 107.2 on Facebook or email info@tuksfm.co.za.